Thursday, 2 March 2017

Come Lent, Come Veils

St Oswald's Bellingham
Above is the sanctuary of St Oswald's in Bellingham. Well it is after I had moved a few statues around. Our Lord was behind the door at the back of Church and Our Lady didn't have a candle rack. Everyone knows that Our Lady loves candle racks. She can't get enough of them.

So with the beginning of Lent I try to make it all look a bit different. Just a bit. After all we cannot take away from the proper veiling on Passion Sunday. So away to the shops I went and bought 10 metres of purple cloth (10 yards, 2 feet, 9 1/2 inches : official post-Brexit measurements - other measurements should not be available.) Of course it was not enough. I have enough for the bits and pieces, the two main statues, the risen Christ (I know it's not a Crucifix - and I know as well that it is not my Church!) but there is also a small statue of St Catherine who needs to be hidden and I have run out of cloth.

So this is the 'first bit of Lent empurpling'

St Oswald's Bellingham at the beginning of Lent
it's a bit like a game of 'spot the difference'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...