Sunday, 11 September 2016

The Great North Run


Today is the Great North Run. It is a fantastic thing which takes over huge chunks of south Tyneside. As a boy we used to go and watch them running past... after church of course.


Those of you know know me will find it very surprising indeed to know that I once did the Great North Run. Actually it was the junior Great North Run, but as allergic to activity as I am, let's not quibble. I remember lots about it. I used to try to practice (not too much I seem to recall) by going for a run in the evening. I would listen to Aha on cassette which I played through a cheap version of a Walkman. "I've been losing you" takes me immediately back.

I cannot remember much about the run itself, but it definitely happened as I have a medal.



It was 1987 and I was still 16. A whole life ahead of me.

It is a strange thing, time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...