Wednesday, 7 September 2016

Council Joke


There is a story going the rounds of a journalist who wanted to crash the secret sessions [of Vatican II]. He borrowed a cassock and clerical collar, attached himself to a Bishop, explained that he was a a priest who wanted very much to get into the Council for just one day. The Bishop finally got him in as hid official chaplain. After Mass the reporter’s conscience began to get the better of him and so he finally said, “Your Excellency, I have a confession to make. I’m not actually a priest, I’m a newspaper reporter.” To which his companion replied, “Well, one confession deserves another. I’m not actually a Bishop. I’m a newspaper reporter too.”

From : Brown, R. A., Observer in Rome: A Protestant Report on the Vatican Council, London, 1964, p.31.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...