Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Someone tell my Bishop...


I'm a modernist! Didn't you know? Have you not guessed? Is it not written on every page and blog post?

I'm going to cry it from the mountain tops, tell it in the streets, shout it from the highest places!

Let it be know in Jerusalem and to the ends of the earth. Fr Bede Rowe... The Modernist.


Or so I am called on "Catholic Truth", link here. It is in response to the LMS article on praying of the Jews. Apparently I started well, then I ended up with "several paragraphs of Vatican II-inspired waffle." Damn that waffle, why raise the issue of waffles at the beginning of Lent. All toasty, and dripping with Golden Syrup.

Vatican II waffles - sickly sweet and make you fat

The problem seems to be this. They wrote: 

This sounds rather like the recent Synod’s ‘we’re not changing doctrine, but only practice’, and I would like someone to enlighten me as to what was my and our share in ‘recent and not so recent history’ that makes it impossible for us to openly pray for the conversion of the Jews in the Mass. [Perhaps I did not make it clear,  I said that "we cannot effectively preach the message of Christ", not that we could not do it. Of course we can do it... the question I was putting forward is if we can do it 'effectively'.]  For that matter, what part did the Church play in ‘the evil of the last century’. What is this collective guilt all about? [Guilt, or otherwise, has nothing to do with it. Perceived guilt, however, is a different question. And perceived guilt lies in the eye of the beholder.] Surely if the Jews of Jerusalem crying ‘Crucifige, crucifige eum’ bore no guilt, then why am I to bear guilt for the Holocaust and because of it refuse to pray for the conversion of all men?
Rainbow waffles - narrowly avoided at the Synod on the family

I suppose that the problems centres on 'effectively'. We have an obligation to pray for the conversion of all people. Ad Gentes (Vatican II waffle alert) makes that abundantly clear. The question concerns the best way to bring about this spreading of the message of Christ to the ends of the earth. The article, though springing from the Good Friday prayer, is not about the liturgy. Apart from the first sentence, it is never mentioned again. It concerns the effective means of evangelisation.

I wrote that "[t]oday, preaching the conversion of the Jews is so clouded by the evil of the last century, that the message of Christ becomes too severely distorted to be honest, effective or even, perhaps, kind." It does not matter who brought about this evil, or to what extent or otherwise, we, Catholics (and if I can align myself with the saints, then I cannot ignore the sinners), helped or hindered it. The question concerns the most effective means. I humbly suggest that a direct preaching to the Jews for their immediate and direct conversion is not the best way. 

Vatican II waffles and Jewish bagles on the same plate
what do you expect with the modernists! 
I may, of course, be wrong, but by following this line of thought, we can still interpret the latest non-Magisterial statements in a manner consistent with Catholic Tradition.

If this makes me a modernist, then please, please tell my Bishop. It will only do me good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...