Friday, 16 January 2015

She is Still too Many!!!


How many times do I have to tell these people? Eh? How many.

Having posted on the delicate subject of too many images of the Mother of God in Churches before (here) I did not expect to have to return to it so soon.

It is just simply reasonable that we should not have too many pictures of her, everyone knows that. My own dear mother in the flesh quite understood it when coming home from Seminary that first time, having been told about the iniquitous situation of too many pictures, I proceeded to burn all the pictures I had of her, all the photos, holiday snaps, likenesses, charcoal etchings, and kept just one simple framed image. In order to mirror the spirit of the instruction I had received, I put it in a bag in the wardrobe of the spare bedroom of the east wing. Phew!

As I say she quite understood. But I digress.

So imagine my delight in seeing the above fresco of the Immaculate Virgin surely in the process of being whitewashed. Ahhh, my heart sung with joy (because i had already passed three images of the Mother of God), but then I stumbled on this...


and this...


That's it, I'm leaving Bologna to return to Blighty where we keep to such liturgical rules, and we produce things like this...

Clifton Cathedral, my alma mater, upholding the principles of the Spirit of something or other.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...