Saturday, 3 January 2015

Bishop Lang - Lion of Judah


All too often nowadays, the world seems to take easy sides on the Israel/Palestine debate. In the last post I mentioned the danger of downplaying Christianity's connection to Judaism.

The courageous Bishop Declan Lang, Bishop of Clifton
You can imagine, then, my joy in seeing the defense of Israel by my own Bishop, Declan Lang. Bishop Lang is the Chairman of the Bishop's Conference Department of International Affairs. (I have to admit that I find it a little ludicrous that the Bishop's Conference of England and Wales has an International Affairs department. They probably have a Department of Transport as well).

It all concerns the map issued by HarperCollins which omitted Israel! The Bishop told the Tablet (here)

“The publication of this atlas will confirm Israel’s belief that there exists a hostility towards their country from parts of the Arab world. It will not help to build up a spirit of trust leading to peaceful co-existence.”

It is wonderful to see a Bishop defending Israel for once. You do not often see Bishops standing up for the rights of both sides. You hear a lot about Palestine, but almost nothing about Israel.

Bishop meets Bishop
So I award Bishop Lang "The Chaplain Abroad" award of

BISHOP DECLAN LANG
LION OF JUDAH
FIRST CLASS


And incidentally it was Bishop Declan who banned Tina Beattie (here), and continues to ban the Neo-Catechumenate Way from meeting in Clifton Diocese.

I've always liked my Bishops acting like Renaissance Princes!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...