Saturday, 17 August 2013

Spiritual Warfare


I'm off to the Norbertines in Chelmsford on Sunday to give them a retreat. You can see their parish website here, and their blog here.

The Prior asked me to give the retreat on "Spiritual Warfare". The reality of the forces of darkness has been underlined by Pope Francis numerous times and it is good to have it continually raised. We forget the presence of the Evil One and his action in the world and his desire that we burn in Hell for all eternally at our peril.


It has been a bit daunting preparing the seven talks, because like most people I do not relish thinking about these things.

The table reading is going to be "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S.Lewis. It has been many years since I read it, but I remember as a young man being blown away by it - it is a masterclass in psychology, temptation and our human weakness. If you have not read it, then you should, and if it has been a while since you dipped into its pages, then take it up again.


So here we go into the world of Spiritual Warfare. I hope I don't frighten the Norbertines too much... or myself for that matter.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...