Sunday, 4 December 2011

Advent Calendar


I've started teaching Mathematics, so I have an excuse for not posting for a few days. It is funny how much you forget about the addition and subtraction of indices and fractions in 25 years, but I digress.

As I went on my constitutional promenade one day, unto the delights of Huit à Huit (the local 7-11), I discovered a thing of truly wondrous proportions. It was an Advent Calendar. I love Advent Calendars, actually I really love Advent Candles, but I couldn't get my hands on one of those this year.

I remember as a child, the excitement of knowing that it was the next day, and you were one day closer to Christmas. Also the excitement of trying to be the first to open the door, or burn the candle. Of course with a brother and a sister, I was not always the one to be able to do it, but as the youngest, I got away with it more often than not.

So what an excellent thing to come across... An Advent Calendar! And it gives you chocolate every morning. I suppose that the only down side is that IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS!

It has Santa, and trees, and jolly people, but nothing even vaguely Christmassy.

Well never mind. I will open the doors and know that the birth of my Saviour draws near, and I will scoff the chocolates and think of the great things that He has done for me, and when Christmas comes I will enjoy the trees and the tinsel and baubles with happy abandon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...