Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Teaching the Boys



I have to admit that I still only really understand the educational system that I was brought up with all those years ago. This means that I constantly think in terms of First, Second etc. Lower Sixth, Upper Sixth, instead of year seven, eight etc. Now I have a new system.

Here in Chavagnes, years 7, 8 & 9 (old system 1st 2nd 3rd year Senior) are Junior 1, Junior 2, Junior 3. Years 10, & 11 (old system 4th 5th year Senior) are Senior 1 and Senior 2.

Basically from the beginning of secondary school, up to GCSE, in Chavagnes they are called Junior 1, 2, 3, Senior 1, 2.

Everyone clear? Good. I will resist the temptation to set homework and a short test (you see I am getting into my teacher mode).

The reason for this long peroration about year numbers is simply to report that I have now taught all of the years except Senior 2.

The Juniors use the series of books from the Faith and Life series (Link here), which are quite fine, and I will see how user friendly they are as we go along. There is a progression from year to year as to what the boys are expected to know, and, more importantly their depth of knowledge. They take seriously that the faith must be taught - that there is objective knowledge to be imparted. Then, they can reflect on it and hopefully integrate it into their normal attraction to and knowledge of God.

The Seniors are a different matter. While you can free wheel a little with the Juniors, the Seniors are taught to the exact syllabus. I have to say that I was more worried about the Seniors. Of course I have taught in schools before, but much more on the lines of the Juniors. But I have to admit that the S1 class were delightful, even with homework and the promise of a test at the beginning of every lesson. I actually find it OK to teach to an expected amount of information. You know what it is taht you have to impart and then you have to check that they have picked it up. 

However, I have the older ones on Friday, so let’s not count our chickens yet!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...