Saturday, 17 September 2011

Lord I am not worthy...


Going through the changes in translation, let us look at the reception of Holy Communion. We now say:

       Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof,
       but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Needless to say, this is actually what the prayer says, but let us look where it comes from.  We look at St Matthews Gospel, chapter 8. A Centurion comes to Our Lord and asks that his servant be healed. Our Lord says that He will come in person and do it, but the Centurion say that there is no need for Our Lord to come, as all He has to do is say the word and His servant shall be healed. It is a moment of trust and faith in the power of Almighty God.  Some of them might have thought think that Jesus ‘did’ something that was not from God, but from Him. Perhaps He was a healer, perhaps he was a trickster… as long as He ‘healed’ then that was OK, but by saying, as the Centurion did ‘no, do not come, all you have to do is say the word’ is truly a matter of faith. You say the word, and the miracle will happen. The centurion put his trust in the miracle that Our lord could bring about.

We say the same thing. Exactly the same thing. All we do is change ‘my servant shall be healed’ to ‘my soul shall be healed’. It is trust for the miracle to be applied not to a third party, but to me, to my soul.

The Centurion stood in from of Jesus and looked Him in the eye and said ‘I trust you, completely. Just say it and it will happen.’

At Holy Mass we kneel and look at the Sacred Host. This is Jesus. This is truly the Flesh and Blood of Our Saviour. We look Him in the eye and say ‘I trust you completely.’ And the frightening thing is that it is not for someone else (it is always easy to accept the consequence for someone else) but it is for me.

My soul shall be healed… come into my life… transform me… heal my sinfulness, my pride my jealousy…
burnt from my heart the consequences of sin and created me anew.

Only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...