Tuesday, 2 August 2011

The Month of the Immaculate Heart

The Immaculate Heart of Mary

August is the month of the Assumption and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. In the new calendar the feast of the Immaculate Heart was moved by Pope Paul VI in 1969 to the place it occupies in the ordinary calendar, on the Saturday after the feast of the Scared Heart. However in the Extra-ordinary form of Holy Mass, it retains its place as the Octave Day of the Assumption, and so is celebrated on August 22nd.

In the image above, we see the Blessed Virgin take hold of her heart and offer it to us. Were she to do this, then we would have the power to cherish and protect her heart or crush it in our hands. This is the true love which, in her simplicity, Our Lady gives to us. She gives us her heart to guard, or to destroy. We can destroy it by our selfishness, pride and sins, for which mother would not be saddened to the core by seeing her children so arrogant and foolish? Or we can cherish it by protecting her honour and her name.

I have always found it very foolish of people to dishonour the Virgin Mother of God. She, of course, is kindness itself and would do nothing about it - what else would you expect?

So why do I say they are foolish? Well, let me tell you: you can take my name and trample it underfoot; you can run down my reputation; you can blacken my memory and make my name a byword that people would turn their faces from. And I hope I would not retaliate too much.

But, if you say one word against my mother… then there would be no fury greater, no anger more blazing, no ire more unquenched… And I’m just a man.

Think whose mother she is!

Yes, I’ve always found it VERY foolish when people run down the Virgin Mother of God. Very foolish indeed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...