Tuesday, 16 August 2011

The Assumption



How wonderful when we celebrate the things that happen to someone else! Today we rejoice with the Blessed Virgin. She was taken up into heaven when her time here was over.

It’s as if something wonderful happened to you and I rejoice with you about it. If you win the lottery I will rejoice at your good fortune. Also…
1 I’d be a bit jealous because I’d like all that cash.
2 I’d wish I had bought a ticket.
3 I’d make sure that I was very good to you, so that you’d help me if ever I was in need.
4 If someone needed anything then I’d tell them about you.

In the same way we should rejoice with the Blessed Virgin.
1 I will be jealous of the Virgin Mary, for I too want to be in heaven, body and soul. It would make my soul sing!
2 I wish I had lived a life like hers, which would have meant that I would be worthy of the honours of heaven, instead of my selfishness.
3 I will be very good to her, loving her and asking her prayers, lighting candles to her, and giving her flowers, so that she will help me whenever I am in need.
4 If anyone is in need then I will tell them about the Virgin Mother of God. I will tell them about her humility and all encompassing love for Almighty God. I will tell them of her mighty strength and powerful courage. I will tell them of her love for us, her children, and how she will do anything so that we can be with her in heaven worshipping Her Son for ever.

But she did not win the lottery! She was honoured by her Son because it was not fitting that one who was not touched by the stain of Original Sin should suffer the corruption of the flesh. He took her and raised her to be with Him totally in Heaven. He simply loves her so much.

“By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by our own authority, we pronounce, declare, and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory.”
Venerable Pius XII

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...